The number of confirmed cases of Cyclospora infection linked to salads from McDonald's restaurants was 507 in 15 states and New York City as of Aug. 23, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said Friday.
Latest Infectious Disease News
The source of the intestinal parasite was a Fresh Express salad mix used at McDonald's restaurants in the affected states. McDonald's says it stopped using the Fresh Express salad mix on July 13 and has replaced the supplier of salads in those states.
Anyone who consumed salads from McDonald's in IL, IA, IN, WI, MI, OH, MN, NE, SD, MT, ND, KY, WV, and MO could have been exposed to the parasite, the FDA said.
Also possibly at risk are people who ate beef, pork and poultry salad and wrap products distributed by Caito Foods LLC, of Indianapolis. The products were produced between July 15 and 18, 2018, with either "Best By," "Enjoy by," "Best if Sold By" or "Sell By" dates ranging from July 18 through July 23, 2018.
Caito Foods was told by Fresh Express that the chopped romaine in these products was being recalled due to possible Cyclopsora contamination.
Most people Cyclospora infection (cyclocyclosporiasis) develop diarrhea, loss of appetite, weight loss, stomach cramps/pain, bloating, increased gas, nausea, and fatigue. Vomiting, body aches, headache, fever, and other flu-like symptoms may occur, the FDA said.
Some people who are infected with Cyclospora do not develop any symptoms.
If not treated, the illness may last between a few days to a month or longer. Symptoms may seem to go away and then return one or more times.
People with symptoms of cyclocyclosporiasis should contact their health care provider, the FDA said.
It's continuing its investigation into the outbreak.
Copyright © 2018 HealthDay. All rights reserved.