An Indianapolis teen suffered serious burns after his friends poured boiling hot water on him as part of fad called the "Hot Water Challenge."
Latest Healthy Kids News
The boiling water was poured on Kyland Clark, 15, as he slept and he suffered second-degree burns to his body and face, Fox News reported.
The incident occurred after Clark and his friends had watched videos of the challenge on YouTube.
"My skin just fell off my chest, and then I looked in the mirror and I had skin falling off here and, on my face," he told Fox 59.
Clark spent a week in the hospital. His doctors are hopeful that pigment will return in Clark's face within a few months.
"If your friends are telling you to do this, they aren't good friends," said Dr. Ed Bartkus, Indiana University Health, Fox News reported.
He said boiling hot water can cause permanent disfigurement or damage the airway. Last summer, an 11-year-old girl in New York suffered face and chest burns after friends poured hot water on her.
Also last summer, an 8-year-old girl suffered fatal throat injuries after she tried to drink boiling water through a straw, Fox News reported.
Copyright © 2018 HealthDay. All rights reserved.