Ebola Outbreak in Congo 'Largely Contained,' WHO Says

An Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo is "largely contained," the World Health Organization says.

It's the first time that a new vaccine was used. The vaccine was field-tested near the end of the major 2015 Ebola epidemic in West Africa, The New York Times reported.

In this latest outbreak, the vaccine was given to more than 3,200 people, including front-line health care workers, and family members and friends who had contact with known Ebola victims.

None of the people who received the vaccine became ill, according to the Congolese health ministry, The Times reported.

As of Tuesday, there were 53 confirmed or probable cases of Ebola and 29 people had died. Suspected cases continue to appear, but there have not been any laboratory-confirmed cases since June 6.

As of Wednesday, more than 1,500 people who'd had contact with confirmed or probable Ebola patients had been followed for 21 days and had no Ebola symptoms, the WHO said. Three weeks believed to be the maximum incubation period for the infection, The Times.

MedicalNews
Copyright © 2018 HealthDay. All rights reserved.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors