Hot Garden Hose Water Poses Scalding Risk

Hot water in garden hoses that have been left in the sun can cause scalding, Las Vegas fire officials say.

In the warning issued Tuesday, Las Vegas Fire & Rescue cited a case that occurred two years ago. A 9-month old baby suffered second-degree burns on 30 percent of his body after being sprayed with scalding water from a hose heating by the sun, CBS News reported.

"Here in Las Vegas, a garden hose exposed to direct sunlight during summer can heat the water inside the hose (not flowing) to 130-140 degrees which can cause burns especially to children & animals," the fire department warned.

It recommended letting water flow from a hose for a few minutes so that it can cool before it's sprayed on people or animals, CBS News reported.

Copyright © 2018 HealthDay. All rights reserved.


Emotional trauma is best described as a psychological response to a deeply distressing or life-threatening experience. See Answer

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors