Family Warns of 'Dry Drowning' After Daughter's Near Death

Parents need to know about "dry drowning," says the family of a 4-year-old girl in Florida who was hospitalized and nearly died from the condition.

After accidentally swallowing pool water, Elianna Grace immediately vomited but appeared fine within about 30 minutes. But she developed a fever the next day and eventually ended up in the emergency room, where a chest X-ray revealed inflammation and an infection, CBS News reported.

Elianna was diagnosed with aspiration pneumonia, also called dry drowning. It occurs when a person inhales water and it gets into the lungs. It can develop hours or even days after inhaling water, and typically involves young children.

Medical experts say symptoms of dry drowning include trouble breathing, persistent coughing, sleepiness and fatigue, and vomiting, CBS News reported.

Elianna is now recovering at home. Her mother, Lacey Grace, wants other parents to be aware of the threat posed by dry drowning.

"If you think something is off, I encourage you to get them checked out. Best case, they're gonna say, 'Your kid's OK, something that'll pass.' And, worst case, they're gonna say, 'You need to get to the nearest ER immediately.'"

MedicalNews
Copyright © 2018 HealthDay. All rights reserved.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors