A decision to cancel all funding for an Obama-era program to prevent teen pregnancy has been put on hold by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Latest Pregnancy News
The decision last year to cut funding for the Teen Pregnancy Prevention Program was made by Trump administration political appointees, who overruled HHS career officials, NBC News reported.
But court documents show that two days later, the Trump administration agreed to maintain some of the program's funding.
Specifically, the administration said funds would be preserved through August for three plaintiffs -- the city of Baltimore, the Healthy Teen Network (which represents grantees nationwide), and King County (Seattle) in Washington state -- who contended that HHS had unlawfully ended the program, NBC News reported.
"We believe these documents support our contention that the government acted arbitrarily and unlawfully in terminating the grants," said Skye Perryman, a lawyer for the nonprofit legal group Democracy Forward, which is representing the plaintiffs.
Funding to the three plaintiffs will stop as of June 30, but the funding will be temporarily protected through August, when a legal decision on the future of the program is expected, NBC News reported.
Copyright © 2018 HealthDay. All rights reserved.