(HealthDay News) -- Millions of Americans living with diabetes use a blood glucose meter to keep track of their blood sugar. Since these are medical devices, they are regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Latest Diabetes News
- Health Tip: Control Some Risk Factors for Diabetes
- Want to Avoid Type 2 Diabetes Eat More Whole Grain
- New Hormonal Link Suspected in Type 2 Diabetes
- FDA Warns of Serious Genital Infection With Diabetes Meds
- Health Tip: Keep Diabetic Feet Healthier
- Want More News? Sign Up for MedicineNet Newsletters!
The FDA offers these suggestions when using a blood glucose meter:
- Follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully.
- Ask your health care provider to watch you test yourself to ensure that you are using the device correctly.
- Regularly test your meter to ensure the device is working properly.
- Understand how to read the results on your meter.
- Properly clean and disinfect your meter, as instructed by the manual.
- Know when and how to report device problems.
Copyright © 2018 HealthDay. All rights reserved.