(HealthDay News) -- Shredded meat and poultry are a great start to a wide range of meals, from chili to Mexican dishes.
But it's important to prepare the meat safely to avoid foodborne illness.
Latest Nutrition, Food & Recipes News
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services offers these suggestions for preparing shredded meat in a slow cooker:
- Refer to your product's manual to determine how much meat your pot can safely hold.
- Refrigerate meat within two hours of purchase, or one hour if the room temperature is above 90 degrees F.
- Use chicken within two days of purchase, and pork or beef within four days.
- Make sure your slow cooker is clean.
- Thoroughly wash your hands for 20 seconds with warm water and soap before preparing food.
Copyright © 2018 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter