Would you recognize the signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion? Find out by answering the following True or False statements. Click on the "True" or "False" to find the answers.
- Heat exhaustion is the body's response to an excessive loss of water and salt contained in sweat. True or False
- Those most prone to heat exhaustion are people with low blood pressure. True or False
- Warning signs of heat exhaustion are: lack of sweat, flushed face, excitedness. True or False
- The victim's pulse rate will be fast and weak, and breathing will be fast and shallow. True or False
- If heat exhaustion is untreated, it may progress to heat stroke. True or False
- A cooling measure that may be effective is a cool alcoholic beverage and a hot bath. True or False
Answers to the Heat Exhaustion I.Q. Quiz
Warning signs of heat exhaustion include:
- heavy sweating
- muscle cramps
- nausea or vomiting
If heat exhaustion is untreated, it may progress to heat stroke. Seek medical attention immediately if: symptoms are severe, or, the victim has heart problems or high blood pressure. Otherwise, help the victim to cool off, and seek medical attention if symptoms worsen or last longer than 1 hour.
Back to the quiz
Cooling measures that may be effective include: cool, non-alcoholic beverages, as directed by your physician; rest; cool shower, bath or sponge bath; an air-conditioned environment; and lightweight clothing.
So, how did you do?
For more emergency health information, please visit the First Aid Center.