Latest Senior Health News
(HealthDay News) -- Some elderly people are at heightened risk for falling, especially at home. Six of 10 falls occur within the home -- often due to lax stair safety, the National Institute on Aging says.
The agency offers these safety suggestions:
- Install tightly-fastened handrails on both sides of the stairs.
- Always hold the handrails while going up and down stairs.
- If you need to carry something while using the stairs, hold tightly with one hand, and do not block your view with the item in your hands.
- Install bright lighting, including switches at both the top and bottom of stairs.
- Do not stack items on stairs.
- Install a runner or carpet on stairs, or use no-slip strips.
Copyright © 2017 HealthDay. All rights reserved.