Mother Warns About Fidget Spinner Choking Hazard

A Texas mother is warning other parents about the choking risk of fidget spinners after her daughter's close call.

The latest toy fad has a stable middle and a disc with two or three paddles that can be spun, CNN reported.

But in a Facebook post, Kelly Rose Joniec of Houston wrote she was on her way home recently when she heard her 10-year-old daughter Britton choking in the back seat. After pulling over, Joneic discovered that her daughter had swallowed one of the round metal bearings from her fidget spinner.

After attempting to dislodge the small piece of metal with the Heimlich maneuver, Joniec rushed Britton to the nearest urgent care center, but doctors couldn't pinpoint where the bearing had gotten stuck,CNN reported.

After Britton was transferred to Texas Children's Hospital, an X-ray showed that the bearing was in the girl's esophagus.

"Britton was taken to surgery to endoscopically locate and remove the object. Fortunately we had a positive outcome, but it was pretty scary there for a while...not only because of the initial ingestion, but then the concern about the composition and structure of the object, and finally, the risk with general anesthesia,"Joniec wrote in her post.

No updates about Britton's condition were available, CNN reported.

-----

MedicalNews
Copyright © 2017 HealthDay. All rights reserved.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR NEXT NEWS ARTICLE

SLIDESHOW

Childhood Diseases: Measles, Mumps, & More See Slideshow

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors