Too Much Caffeine Caused South Carolina Teen's Death: Coroner

Drinking too much caffeine led to the death of a South Carolina teen who collapsed in a classroom last month, according to a coroner.

Davis Allen Cripe, 16, died from a "caffeine-induced cardiac event causing a probable arrhythmia," said Richland County Coroner Gary Watts, The Anderson Independent-Mail reported.

The caffeine came from a large Diet Mountain Dew, a cafe latte from McDonald's and an energy drink consumed over the course of about two hours, according to Watts.

Cripe was healthy and had no family history of a medical problem the caffeine could have exacerbated, the coroner said at a new conference Monday, the Independent-Mail reported.

"Davis, like so many other kids and so many other people out there today, was doing something (he) thought was totally harmless, and that was ingesting lots of caffeine," Watts said. "We lost Davis from a totally legal substance."


Copyright © 2017 HealthDay. All rights reserved.



In the U.S., 1 in every 4 deaths is caused by heart disease. See Answer

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors