Latest Skin News
The American Academy of Dermatology suggests how to cope with them:
- Apply an over-the-counter antiviral cold-sore medication that contains docosanol or benzyl alcohol.
- Apply an ice pack to ease pain, or an over-the-counter pain-relieving gel or ointment.
- Take acetaminophen or ibuprofen to manage pain.
- Avoid acidic foods, such as citrus fruits and tomatoes, as well as spicy and salty foods.
- Apply a cold, damp rag to the sores several times a day for five to 10 minutes at a time.
- Apply petroleum jelly to the sore and surrounding skin.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2017 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter