(HealthDay News) -- When you're sick with a cold, plenty of sleep may be just what you need. But a stuffy nose and cough can prevent you from getting your rest.
Latest Cold and Flu News
Here are suggestions to help you sleep while you battle a cold, courtesy of the National Sleep Foundation:
- Sip on a warm mug of tea with honey to soothe a stuffy nose, sore throat or cough.
- Enjoy a hot, steamy shower to help unclog nasal passages and relax you.
- Run a humidifier. Make sure to change the water each day and clean the tank every couple of days to prevent mold.
- Stack pillows in bed to stop mucous from collecting.
- Take an over-the-counter cold medicine. Be sure to read ingredient labels carefully, and don't use more than one medication at a time.
- Get out of bed if you can't sleep. Listen to soothing music or have a cup of tea, and head back to bed after 20 minutes.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2017 HealthDay. All rights reserved.