(HealthDay News) -- Before you hit the road for the holidays, make sure your diabetes is under control and that you're prepared for emergencies.
Latest Diabetes News
Here are suggestions from the American Diabetes Association:
- Before any long trip, visit your doctor and get a medical exam. If you need any vaccines, schedule them at least a month before you depart.
- Get a letter from your doctor listing your medications and what they are for. Obtain any needed prescriptions.
- If you're traveling internationally, compile a list of doctors in the host nation who speak your language.
- Wear a medical ID bracelet that says you have diabetes.
- Pack a carry on with all of your diabetes supplies, including extras. Make sure your insulin is packed appropriately.
- Pack snacks to deal with possible instances of low blood sugar.
- Make adjustments to your medication schedule if you change time zones.
- Check your blood sugar frequently during the trip.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2016 HealthDay. All rights reserved.