Health Tip: Watch for Open Flames

(HealthDay News) -- The holidays are a prime time for home fires spurred by lit candles or fireplaces.

To help prevent such fires, the U.S. National Safety Council suggests:

  • Don't leave a candle burning in any room unsupervised.
  • Make sure lit candles are out of a child's reach.
  • Use lit candles only on surfaces that are sturdy and stable.
  • Keep lit candles away from holiday trees, curtains and flammable objects.
  • Don't put wrapping paper, tree limbs or wreaths in your fireplace to burn.
  • Thoroughly clean and inspect all fireplaces and chimneys annually.

-- Diana Kohnle

MedicalNews
Copyright © 2016 HealthDay. All rights reserved.

SLIDESHOW

8 First Aid Kit Essentials for Scrapes, Cuts, Bug Bites, and More in Pictures See Slideshow

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors