Latest Nutrition, Food & Recipes News
(HealthDay News) -- Barbecue fare may typically include burgers and high-fat side items, but you can lighten up your favorite sides and enjoy a healthier meal.
The American Heart Association suggests:
- Skipping mayonnaise-based salads in favor of brightly colored veggie and fruit salads. Try topping with toasted nuts and skip the croutons.
- Serve fresh cut crunchy, raw veggies such as cucumber, broccoli, carrots and cauliflower with a low-fat dip instead of potato chips.
- Skip regular soda in favor of plain water.
- Skip store-bought baked goodies which are loaded in saturated fats. Try a healthy fruit smoothie and a little yogurt.
- Wrap up your barbecue with a sweet treat such as grilled fruit.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2016 HealthDay. All rights reserved.