Latest Nutrition, Food & Recipes News
The American Heart Association suggests these alternatives:
- Choose ketchup that is low in salt and sugar. Or make your own by combining low-sodium tomato paste, garlic powder, onion powder and brown sugar.
- Opt for chopped hot peppers instead of hot sauce, which can be high in salt. Add some cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes. Or make your own hot sauce by blending jalapenos, garlic, vinegar and low-sodium tomato paste.
- Make your own salad dressing.
- Make your own soy sauce with low sodium beef or vegetable broth, vinegar, molasses, ginger powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Make your own mustard, mayonnaise and tartar sauce.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2016 HealthDay. All rights reserved.