(HealthDay News) -- This summer, take advantage of the warm weather to get active, fit and healthy.
The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases offers these fun suggestions:
- Opt for some fun in the water, including swimming and diving.
- When the weather doesn't cooperate, play a fitness video or work out indoors.
- Plant a small garden. Use the fruits of your labor to eat plenty of produce all summer.
- Opt for plenty of nutritious foods, including whole grains, lean proteins and low-fat dairy.
- Get the whole family active. Go for a hike, an after-dinner walk or play a neighborhood softball game.
- Engage in strengthening exercises (such as push-ups) at least twice weekly.
- Drink enough fluids before, during and after exercise, particularly when the weather gets hot. Exercise in the early morning hours when high temperatures are forecast.
Latest Exercise & Fitness News
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2016 HealthDay. All rights reserved.