(HealthDay News) -- While fiber is essential for proper digestion, weight management and overall health, many Americans aren't getting enough. Women should get at least 25 grams per day, and men should get 38 grams, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics says.
Latest Nutrition, Food & Recipes News
To get enough fiber, the Academy recommends:
- Eat fruits and vegetables, particularly the skins, which are loaded with fiber. Opt for a whole fruit or vegetable, rather than a processed version.
- Eat more beans, lentils, nuts and seeds.
- Skip refined cereal for a bowl of steel-cut oats with fruit and nuts.
- Choose whole-grain bread or tortillas for your sandwich, and top it with plenty of vegetables.
- Replace regular rice or pasta for brown rice or whole wheat pasta.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2015 HealthDay. All rights reserved.