(HealthDay News) -- Fried chicken, macaroni and cheese and other goodies are popular southern foods, but they often pack plenty of fat and salt.
Latest Nutrition, Food & Recipes News
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics recommends these healthier swaps:
- Eat veggies first to help you fill up.
- If you want a calorie-rich dish such as macaroni and cheese, serve a small portion.
- Save your favorite dishes for special occasions.
- Opt for peanut, olive or canola oil, instead of solid fats.
- Make macaroni and cheese with low-fat milk and reduced-fat cheddar.
- Serve up a black-eyed-peas and rice dish with brown rice instead of white.
- Make potato salad using half mayonnaise and half fat-free Greek yogurt, a little mustard and extra veggies.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2015 HealthDay. All rights reserved.