(HealthDay News) -- Quitting smoking can be an emotional step, and there are ways to help you fight the temptation to resume the habit.
Latest Lungs News
The Smokefree.gov website recommends:
- Take a break from what's making you emotional or nervous. Find something to use as a distraction, such as reading a book or playing a game.
- Call a friend or family member to talk through what you're feeling.
- Get some exercise to take your mind off of your worries. Also, eat a healthy diet and get plenty of sleep.
- Create a plan to help you deal with stressful, emotional situations. Set reasonable goals.
- Don't succumb to negative thoughts. Remind yourself that you are doing the best you can, and reward yourself for a job well done.
- Stop and count to 10 while breathing deeply, and let go of what's bothering you.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2015 HealthDay. All rights reserved.