Latest Heart News
The U.S. National Heart Lung and Blood Institute says smoking can:
- Decrease the blood's ability to carry oxygen.
- Force the heart to work harder by raising blood pressure and heart rate.
- Raise triglycerides (fat) and bad cholesterol, while lowering good cholesterol.
- Affect the heart's normal rhythm.
- Narrow blood vessel walls.
- Increase inflammation, which can lead to increased plaque buildup in blood vessels.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2015 HealthDay. All rights reserved.