(HealthDay News) -- Fungi are everywhere, and can easily sneak beneath your toenails and cause an unpleasant infection.
Latest Skin News
The American Podiatric Medical Association suggests these preventive steps:
- Treat feet to regular, careful washing with soap and water and a thorough drying.
- In public places, wear flip flops or shower shoes.
- Swap hosiery, socks and shoes more than once per day.
- Keep toenails trimmed and cut in a straight line. Disinfect nail clippers and other tools used on nails.
- Avoid tight hosiery, and stick to well-fitting shoes made of materials that breathe.
- Opt for socks made of synthetic materials that keep away moisture from skin.
- Don't attempt to cover up fungus discoloration with nail polish.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2015 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Skin Care & Conditions Newsletter