Latest Nutrition, Food & Recipes News
(HealthDay News) -- Making sure your kids eat a variety of healthy foods can be daunting, but it helps to have a list of healthy options in each of the five basic food groups.
The American Academy of Healthy Children mentions these preferred choices:
- Healthy choices from the grains group include brown rice, unbuttered popcorn, oatmeal, buckwheat, whole wheat bread, cereal, tortillas, pasta, whole-grain barley, cornmeal and wild rice.
- Healthy vegetable choices include bok choy, spinach, acorn and butternut squash, carrots, sweet potatoes, red and orange peppers, tomatoes, pumpkin, potatoes, green peas and corn.
- Healthy fruit choices include starfruit, apples, applesauce, berries, bananas, mangos, papayas and plums.
- Healthy protein choices include lean beef, pork, ham, skinless or ground poultry, tuna, salmon, scallops, crab, beans, nuts and eggs.
- Healthy dairy choices include low-fat milk, yogurt, cheese, frozen yogurt and pudding.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2015 HealthDay. All rights reserved.