By Megan Brooks
WebMD Health News
Reviewed by Michael W. Smith, MD
Latest Alzheimer's News
- Sudoku, Crosswords Make Your Brain Years Younger
- Exercise, Healthy Eating Can Reduce Dementia Risk
- 'Robopets' Bring Companionship to Nursing Homes
- Hormone Therapy for Prostate Cancer, Dementia Risk
- Alzheimer's Spread Like an Infection Through Brain
- Want More News? Sign Up for MedicineNet Newsletters!
The two drugs are often prescribed together. About 70% of people on Namenda XR are also on Aricept, says David Nicholson, PhD, in a statement. He's the senior vice president of global brands R&D for drugmaker Actavis.
"Both Namenda XR and donepezil have proven efficacy and safety for the treatment of moderate to severe Alzheimer's disease," Nicholson says. Also, research shows that people who took the combo pill showed greater improvement overall, and with thinking, than those on donepezil alone, he says.
Namzaric is a capsule that's taken once a day. The capsules can be opened and sprinkled on food for people who have trouble swallowing. The drug will be available in two strengths.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
©2014 WebMD, LLC. All Rights Reserved.