(HealthDay News) -- Gum disease can lead to tooth loss and other serious dental problems. That's why it's important to recognize the risk factors.
Latest Oral Health News
Mouthhealthy.org mentions these typical contributors to gum disease:
- Practicing poor dental hygiene.
- Chewing tobacco or smoking.
- Having a genetic predisposition toward gum disease.
- Having crooked teeth that are difficult to keep clean.
- Having diabetes.
- Taking certain calcium channel blockers, oral contraceptives, steroid drugs or some medications used to treat epilepsy and cancer.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2014 HealthDay. All rights reserved.