(HealthDay News) -- As the new school year approaches, it's time to focus on healthy eating to make sure your child's growing body is properly fueled for the challenges of school.
Latest Nutrition, Food & Recipes News
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers these suggestions:
- Start your child's day each morning with a nutritious breakfast.
- If your child eats lunch at school, review the menu together to select a healthy lunch.
- If you pack your child's lunch, shop together to pick out healthy foods.
- Pack healthy snacks -- such as fruits and vegetables, whole-grain crackers and low-fat cheese -- to help tide your child over during extracurricular activities.
- Make sure your child gets plenty of exercise each day. Activity doesn't have to mean a sport.
- Find out which healthy foods your child likes and doesn't like.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2014 HealthDay. All rights reserved.