(HealthDay News) -- As the new school year approaches, it's time to focus on healthy eating to make sure your child's growing body is properly fueled for the challenges of school.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers these suggestions:
- Start your child's day each morning with a nutritious breakfast.
- If your child eats lunch at school, review the menu together to select a healthy lunch.
- If you pack your child's lunch, shop together to pick out healthy foods.
- Pack healthy snacks -- such as fruits and vegetables, whole-grain crackers and low-fat cheese -- to help tide your child over during extracurricular activities.
- Make sure your child gets plenty of exercise each day. Activity doesn't have to mean a sport.
- Find out which healthy foods your child likes and doesn't like.
Latest Nutrition, Food & Recipes News
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2014 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter