(HealthDay News) -- Medical errors are among the top causes of death and injury, the American Academy of Family Physicians says.
Latest Prevention & Wellness News
The academy says you can help protect yourself by becoming an active member of your health care team:
- Inform your doctors about all of your medications, including any over-the-counter medicines, vitamins and supplements.
- Tell your doctors about any allergies.
- Make sure your doctors have access to all of your important health information.
- Ask questions about any medication before you start taking it, such as what the medication is for and possible side effects.
- Make sure you can read the doctor's handwriting on any prescription.
- Before having any surgery, choose your hospital wisely. Discuss any possible risks with your doctor.
- Educate yourself about your own health. Don't be afraid to speak up and ask questions.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.