(HealthDay News) -- If you're eating a vegetarian diet, it's important to make sure you're getting enough nutrients and making healthy meat-free choices.
Latest Nutrition, Food & Recipes News
The U.S. Department of Agriculture offers these suggestions for vegetarians:
- Don't load up on cheese. Instead, choose low-fat proteins such as rice, lentils or beans as a base for your meal.
- Drink calcium-fortified soy milk to cut down on cholesterol and fat, without scrimping on calcium.
- Substitute veggies in place of meat in dishes such as pasta, pizza, stir-fry or tacos.
- Make burger-like patties from soy, beans or lentils.
- Ask for a vegetarian substitution for dishes at restaurants.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter