(HealthDay News) -- Lower back pain is among the leading causes of missed work in the United States. Fortunately, you can take steps to reduce your risk of hurting yourself.
Latest Chronic Pain News
The American Council on Exercise suggests these techniques for proper lifting:
- Ask for help if you are trying to lift something that's too heavy.
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, and stand as close as possible to the object you're lifting.
- Bend at the knees, never at the waist. Lift with your legs, not your back.
- Contract your abdominal muscles when you lift to support your back.
- Hold the object close to your body as you lift.
- Don't twist or bend while lifting a heavy object.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.