(HealthDay News) -- Whether sledding, skiing or just having fun in the snow, kids should take precautions to protect themselves from injuries during winter sports.
Latest Exercise & Fitness News
The Safekids.org website lists these safety guidelines for winter sports safety:
- Wear protective gear that fits properly and is designed for the sport you are playing.
- Parents and kids should always wear a helmet when skiing, sledding, snowboarding and playing ice hockey.
- Stay warm by wearing layers of close-fitting clothing; make sure scarves are tucked in to avoid getting tangled.
- Drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated.
- Be on the lookout for signs of irritability, distraction or hyperventilation, as these may indicate altitude sickness.
- Children should never ride on a snowmobile and no one under the age of 16 should drive one.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.