Latest Skin News
(HealthDay News) -- Cold winter temperatures and bitter winds can leave your lips dry, chapped and sore.
The Cleveland Clinic lists these suggestions to help prevent and soothe chapped lips:
- Moisturize lips each day with a balm or lip moisturizer that contains ingredients like cocoa butter, vitamins A and E, beeswax, petrolatum or dimethicone.
- Re-apply another layer of lip protection before heading out into harsh weather conditions or in dry indoor air.
- Protect lips from sunburn with a balm that has an SPF of 15 or higher; apply a balm under lipstick if you wear it.
- Choose a balm that includes an alpha-hydroxy acid to soothe and exfoliate lips that are already chapped; you can also exfoliate them by coating with lip balm, gently brushing lips with a toothbrush to remove flakes, and then wiping clean and applying more lip balm.
- Try not to lick your lips, because it actually dries them out.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.