Latest Infectious Disease News
(HealthDay News) -- Keeping your kitchen clean can help avoid food-related illness and contamination.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics makes these suggestions for a healthier kitchen:
- Swap dirty dish towels every few days for clean ones.
- Use hot, soapy water to clean any spills in the microwave as soon as they occur.
- After each use, carefully wash cutting boards with soap and hot water or run through the dishwasher.
- Once weekly, toss any expired foods and clean your refrigerator.
- Never thaw foods on the counter, only in the refrigerator.
- Rotate foods in your freezer, putting the oldest foods in the front.
- Discard any cans or jars that have bulges or leaks.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.