(HealthDay News) -- Dry skin may be itchy and even painful, but with proper care, it can be managed and even prevented.
Latest Skin News
The American Skin Association suggests how to manage dry skin:
- Take a short shower in warm, not hot, water. Avoid long, hot baths that can dry the skin.
- Several times a day, lather your skin with a rich moisturizing cream. Make sure the cream doesn't contain alcohol.
- Wash skin with a gentle cleanser. Avoid harsh soaps and antibacterial soaps.
- Run a humidifier.
- Drink plenty of fluids and avoid alcohol.
- Protect the skin from winter weather with gloves, a scarf and a hat.
- Don't scratch or rub the skin.
- Avoid irritating or itchy clothing.
-- Diana Kohnle
Health News Copyright © 2013 HealthDay. All rights reserved.