Latest Lungs News
The National Heart Lung and Blood Institute recommends these steps to help cope with bronchitis:
- Get plenty of rest and drink plenty of fluids.
- Adults may want to take aspirin for fever; acetaminophen (never aspirin) for children.
- If your doctor suspects you have a bacterial infection, he or she may prescribe an antibiotic. An antibiotic will not help a viral infection, the most common cause of bronchitis.
- Run a humidifier or sit in a steamy bathroom to help open the airways.
- If your doctor approves, take a medication to control cough and inflammation.
- Avoid exposure to things that irritate your lungs, especially tobacco smoke.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Allergy and Asthma Newsletter