Health Tip: Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Causes of Fatigue Slideshow Pictures

(HealthDay News) -- Carbon monoxide (CO) is a toxic gas that you can't see or smell, but it can kill people and animals if a leak isn't detected quickly.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says here's what you can do to help reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Have any coal-burning, oil or gas appliances or heating systems serviced annually by a qualified technician.
  • Make sure your home has a working, battery-operated carbon monoxide detector; change batteries twice each year when the time changes.
  • If your detector sounds or if you have any symptoms of CO poisoning (such as nausea, dizziness or light-headedness), leave the home immediately and call 911.
  • Don't use any appliance or device that burns gasoline or charcoal inside your home or near an open window.
  • Never let your car run inside a garage, even with the garage door open.
  • Never use a gas oven to heat your home, and never use a fireplace or stove that isn't vented.

-- Diana Kohnle

MedicalNewsCopyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter

By clicking Submit, I agree to the MedicineNet's Terms & Conditions & Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of MedicineNet's subscriptions at any time.

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors