(HealthDay News) -- Americans' life expectancy continues to increase. But how long you'll live depends on many factors, including how you take care of yourself in the years leading to older age.
The Cleveland Clinic offers this advice to help seniors promote healthy aging:
- Don't smoke, and limit alcohol to no more than one drink per day.
- Get regular physical activity, including a variety of exercises.
- Maintain a healthy body weight and get regular medical checkups.
- Help maintain intellectual health by participating in hobbies, furthering your education and learning new activities.
- Spend time improving your relationships.
- Work with a physician who specializes in the health of older adults. Discuss your health goals and any advance directives with your doctor.
Latest Senior Health News
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Senior Health Newsletter