(HealthDay News) -- Before you pack your bags for your next trip, make sure you read up on how to prevent back pain from lugging luggage.
Latest Prevention & Wellness News
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these suggestions:
- Buy luggage with wheels and a handle that's sturdy and lightweight.
- Don't overpack, and use several small bags instead of stuffing everything into one heavy suitcase.
- Lift with your legs instead of your back, bending at the knees and holding the luggage close to your body.
- If possible, use both hands to carry luggage.
- If carrying a shoulder bag, make sure you switch sides often.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.