Latest Healthy Kids News
So what can you do if you have a backyard pool?
Take some precautions, and insist on a number of safety rules, the American Academy of Pediatrics says. The academy offers these suggestions:
- Make sure a fence completely surrounds a permanent pool, and that the gate is always locked when the pool isn't being used.
- Never let anyone swim alone, unattended, even for a few seconds.
- Children 4 years or older should take swimming lessons.
- Make sure all toys are kept away from the pool when no one is swimming.
- Completely drain inflatable pools after they are used.
- Don't allow any electrical appliances, tricycles or other riding toys near the pool.
- Never allow diving in a pool that isn't deep enough.
- Don't allow children to run on a pool deck.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.