(HealthDay News) -- Before you bring baby home from the hospital, make sure the environment is safe.
Latest Healthy Kids News
The womenshealth.gov website offers this checklist before mom and newborn leave the hospital:
- Make sure the crib and other baby items are in good shape (especially if they are secondhand) and have not been involved in a recall.
- Remove any stuffed animals, blankets and pillows from baby's crib.
- Make sure all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in your home are working.
- Place a list of emergency numbers, including poison control, near each phone.
- Make sure you have a corded landline phone in your home, in case of power failure.
- Make sure the number on your house, apartment or condo is visible, in case emergency works have to find you.
- Make sure there are handrails on all stairs.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Pregnancy & Newborns Newsletter