Gout Nodules, Surgery

Take the Gout Quiz
Doctor's Responses Archive

Viewer Question:
My husband has recently been diagnosed with gout, knots have formed over his joints. Are they ever surgically removed?
Signed, VA

Doctor's Response:
Nodules from gout are called tophi. Depending on their size and location, tophi can become very irritating for a patient with gout. Yes, tophi can be removed surgically. If they are infected (which is not common, but does occur), they can require drainage and antibiotics.

For more information, please visit the MedicineNet.com Gout Center.

Thank you for your question.

Last Editorial Review: 12/30/2004

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Arthritis Newsletter

By clicking Submit, I agree to the MedicineNet's Terms & Conditions & Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of MedicineNet's subscriptions at any time.

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors