(HealthDay News) -- Small magnets that dislodge from toys or products for adults pose choking and ingestion hazards. If swallowed by young children, they can lead to choking or serious injury to the stomach and digestive tract.
Latest Healthy Kids News
The American Academy of Pediatrics mentions these guidelines for parents to help prevent magnet-related injuries:
- Never allow very young children to play with or touch objects that contain magnets.
- Carefully watch older children who play with such toys.
- Don't purchase large sets of magnets, in groups of more than 100, because it's difficult to keep track of any that are missing.
- Make sure teens understand the serious dangers of using magnets as fake piercings.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.