(HealthDay News) -- A hammertoe occurs when the toe muscle bends the toe at the first joint, making the side view of the toe resemble an upside down "v".
The American Podiatric Medical Association suggests how to relieve the pain and discomfort of a hammertoe:
- Apply a non-medicated hammertoe pad on the bony area.
- Wear loose-fitting shoes with plenty of room in the toes.
- Place an ice pack several times a day on the toe.
- Don't wear heels that are taller than 2 inches.
- Visit a podiatrist if your hammertoe still causes pain.
Latest Chronic Pain News
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter