Latest Exercise & Fitness News
(HealthDay News) -- Wearing the proper athletic shoes for your sport or exercise can help protect you against discomfort and injury.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons says you should pay attention to these features when shopping for athletic shoes:
- Shoes for aerobic exercise need sufficient shock absorption, cushioning, a flexible sole and enough stability.
- Shoes for court sports need a good sole that is specific to your sport.
- Shoes for field sports need cleats, spikes or studs, and a cushioned insert.
- Winter-sport shoes should have a snug fit and plenty of ankle support.
- Track and field shoes depend on the sport, so it's important to ask your coach about proper shoes.
- Specialty-sport shoes should fit according to the sport -- for instance, cycling shoes should fit snugly.
- Outdoor-sport shoes need warmth, good tread and plenty of support.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.