(HealthDay News) -- Wearing the proper athletic shoes for your sport or exercise can help protect you against discomfort and injury.
Latest Exercise & Fitness News
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons says you should pay attention to these features when shopping for athletic shoes:
- Shoes for aerobic exercise need sufficient shock absorption, cushioning, a flexible sole and enough stability.
- Shoes for court sports need a good sole that is specific to your sport.
- Shoes for field sports need cleats, spikes or studs, and a cushioned insert.
- Winter-sport shoes should have a snug fit and plenty of ankle support.
- Track and field shoes depend on the sport, so it's important to ask your coach about proper shoes.
- Specialty-sport shoes should fit according to the sport -- for instance, cycling shoes should fit snugly.
- Outdoor-sport shoes need warmth, good tread and plenty of support.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.