(HealthDay News) -- If you're plagued with a cold or another respiratory illness that's causing a cough, there are things you can do to help tame the beast.
The National Heart Lung and Blood Institute offers these suggestions to help calm a cough:
- Quit smoking.
- Steer clear of substances that can irritate the lungs and worsen a cough, such as air pollution, tobacco smoke, allergens and strong odors.
- Take all medications as prescribed by your doctor.
- Follow your doctor's treatment plan.
- Take cough medicine, if recommended by your doctor.
- Run a cool-mist humidifier or steam vaporizer.
Latest Cold and Flu News
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter