(HealthDay News) -- If you're diabetic and preparing to head out for the holidays, take care to carefully pack your medications and supplies.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers these suggestions:
- Pack twice as much medication and supplies as you'll need, in case there are delays in returning home.
- Pack glucose tablets/gel and some snacks.
- Carry an emergency contact number, your doctor's name and phone, and your insurance card.
- Bring a medical identification card that identifies you as being diabetic.
- Pay attention to time zones and adjust your medication schedule accordingly.
- Pack an emergency glucagon kit.
- Pack insulin in an insulated bag with some ice packs.
Latest Diabetes News
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Diabetes Newsletter