(HealthDay News) -- Holiday parties, desserts and buffets can throw your diabetes meal plan way off-track.
Latest Diabetes News
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests how to enjoy the holidays if you're diabetic:
- Enjoy a healthy snack before you go to a party, or pack one to take with you.
- Have small portions from the holiday buffet, and make your table far away from the food.
- Stick to low-calorie drinks, and limit alcohol to one drink a day for women, or two drinks a day for men.
- Skip poultry with skin, ham with a honey glaze, and creamy side dishes and sauces.
- Opt for veggie-based, light side dishes, especially fresh vegetables.
- Enjoy fresh fruit, instead of a piece of pie.
- Make socializing with friends and family the focus of the season, rather than food.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2011 HealthDay. All rights reserved.