Understanding Bronchitis -- Symptoms
What Are the Symptoms of Bronchitis?
The symptoms for acute bronchitis are:
- Hacking cough.
- Yellow, white, or green phlegm, usually appearing 24 to 48 hours after a cough.
- Fever, chills.
- Soreness and tightness in chest.
- Some pain below breastbone during deep breathing
- Some shortness of breath
The symptoms for chronic bronchitis are:
- Persistent cough producing yellow, white, or green phlegm (for at least three months of the year, and for more than two consecutive years).
- Sometimes wheezing, sometimes breathlessness.
Call Your Doctor About Bronchitis If:
- Your cough is so persistent or severe that it interferes with sleep or daily activities or leads to persistent chest pain; you could be damaging sensitive air sacs in your lungs.
- Your symptoms last more than a week, and your mucus becomes darker and thicker, increases in volume, or turns bloody.
- You display symptoms of acute bronchitis and have chronic lung or heart problems, or are infected with the virus that causes AIDS; respiratory infections can leave you vulnerable to more serious lung diseases, such as pneumonia.
- You have great difficulty breathing. This symptom, sometimes mistakenly associated with bronchitis, could signal asthma, emphysema, tuberculosis, heart disease, a serious allergic reaction, or cancer.
WebMD Medical Reference
SOURCES: Brunton, S.; Carmichael, B.; Colgan, R.; Feeney, A.; Fendrick, A.; Quintiliani, R.; Scott, G.; "Acute exacerbation of chronic bronchitis: a primary care consensus guideline." American Journal of Managed Care, October 2004; vol.10(10); pp 689-696. Smucny, J.; Fahey, T.; Becker, L.; Glazier, R.; "Antibiotics for acute bronchitis," Cochrane Database System Reviews, October 2004. vol. 18;(4); pp CD000245. Martinez, F.; "Acute bronchitis: state of the art diagnosis and therapy," Spring 2004, vol. 30; pp 55-69. Steinman, M.; Sauaia, A.; Maselli, J.; Houck, P.: Gonzolas, R.; "Office evaluation and treatment of elderly patients with acute bronchitis," American Journal of Geriatric Society, June 2004, vol. 52; pp 875-879. ERS Task Force, "The diagnosis and management of chronic cough," European Respiratory Journal, September 2004; vol. 24(3); pp 481-492.
Reviewed by Jonathan L Gelfand, MD on October 25, 2010
© 2011 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.
Quick GuideCOPD Lung Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment
Daily Health News
Lung Disease/COPD Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Allergy and Asthma Newsletter