(HealthDay News) -- Repeated exposure to loud noise can permanently damage your hearing.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these suggestions to help reduce your risk of hearing loss:
- Stay away from loud noise whenever possible.
- Wear hearing protection -- such as ear plugs -- while at work at a noisy job, or while at a concert.
- Use sound-absorbing items, such as rubber mats under noisy kitchen appliances.
- Keep the volume down on the TV or radio.
- Avoid using noise to drown out other noise, such as blasting the TV so it's louder than the vacuum cleaner.
- Get your hearing checked regularly.
Latest Hearing News
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2010 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter